Tuesday, May 25, 2010

Ulm, Germany


I have been reading into Ulm the first week of arriving in Langenargen. It seemed like a really great city on the Danube River. I stayed in Langenargen on Saturday because of the long weekend in Prague. I wasn't sure what I wanted to do on Sunday since it has been so rainy and cold here. When I woke up on Sunday (May 16th) I figured the weather may rain or it may just be overcast and I need to get out of town. I took the train at Noon to Ulm. There are direct connections but the one I chose had a change and then a delay. I arrived into Ulm aroung 2p which usually should only take 1.5 hours.


Upon my arrival I exited the train station and found a sign saying Rathaus. The Munster was said to be 10 mins from the station and you pass by a shopping district. You can see the church after crossing the road and passing the first coffee shop.


Inside the Munster it was very beautiful and large! There are 768 stairs to climb to the top. The steeple is 161.53m high and it the tallest in the world. Pretty amazing took 500 years to complete and the building started in 1377. 
I became very dizzy because of the spiral stairs to make your way up to the top.

Platform 1. The local couples have a tradition to kiss at each landing.
Not even close to the top yet!
The church has incredible details and architecture.

Great views of the city...
Getting higher...
Here is another platform and then straight up the most narrow case ever. Yes it was sprial steps too.
I made it to the top! Pretty windy. I am 143m high on the viewing platform.
Thought this was funny.
In Ulm there are two sides divided by the River. New Ulm (Bavaria) and Ulm (Baden-Wurttmberg). I didn't go to New Ulm. Here is the Marktplatz.
On the way to the Danube River...




Great little boat rides that you can take up the Danube.


Ulm is very hilly and has really great streets weaving in and out all along the Blau River.
While walking through the town I was stopped by a German man and he asked Wie spat ist es? (What time is it). The dialect took me a moment to realize and then he point to his wrist and I said vier uhr. Then he detected my American accent and said I thought you were German. Then asked me where I was from? Had a nice conversation about where he learned English and him knowning someone in Phoenix. Even said his name as if I might know the man.



It was pretty peaceful in Ulm.

I went in search of this restaurant that was supposed to have about 900 wines. I was on the right road about 2 mins from here and it was no where to be found. So I went to the next option, local beer at Barfusser. It was ok definitely not the best but not the worst. The food was pretty bland though. Sabine cooks really good and I am spoiled. Wish I would have gotten trot since I was right on the river. Next time I know better



No comments:

Post a Comment