Thursday, July 8, 2010

Dresden, Germany

June 26th,
Riding on the train for 9 hours to Dresden. Sabine and the kids were supposed to come. We woke up Friday morning (June 25th) and Jason was so sick that she decided it was best that they not go. I went alone and became bored and wishing they were on the train with me. I was one hour outside of Leipzig and received a call from Sabine. Jason had to go to the hospital and will most likely be there for two-three days, I need to come back asap. I arrived in Leipzig and let my train to Dresden go without me.

I headed straight for the information and ticketing desk to see if they were still open. I wanted to find out what options were available with my Rail Pass since the tickets to come up were very expensive. The best option was to leave in the morning. This way I could get some sleep and also see Dresden for a few hours before going back down.

Leipzig had a huge shopping center in the train station, I was planning on checking it out on Sunday. There was just no time now. The next train out of Dresden was at 6p and would arrive at 7:30p. All museums would be closed at this time. I called the accommodations I booked earlier when I thought I wouldn't be able to stay and cancelled. I had to call back immediately and hope that they still had my space open. They did. Both train stations had models like this on display.
The moment the train pulled into Leipzig I realized I was in East Germany. Everything was not so glamorous.
I liked how much character there was in Dresden, everywhere you looked there was something unique.
I booked my hostel at Lollis Homestay, close to the Neustadt train station, free bike rentals, and listed a book exchange. I was really excited to go there. On the way I passed by STA but they were already closed for the day.
Lollis Homestay was so easy to find and I soon started to realize how small Dreden actually was. The receptionist was more than helpful, let me know once I put my stuff down I could borrow a bike. I hurried up and picked out a bike, she walked outside with me and told me to go to the end of the street and turn left, follow that road down and I would be in Old Town in 5 mins.

On the ride down there is a stream of bars, clubs, and restaurats. I read that Neustadt was the nightlife area and now I see why. I head towards Albert Platz and from here the road takes you down along the main shopping area. There is a fountain on each side of the road, representing turbulent and still waters.


After riding through on my rusty bicycle I came to Neustadter Markt. There is a striking Gold Statue, Goldener Reiter, of Augustus the Strong right before crossing Augustusbrucke.

 Dresden was called "Florence of the North" in the 18th century. To the left is the Hofkirche.


The Elbe River divides Altstadt (South) and Neustadt (North). There are two trainstations, one in each part of the city. 

Dresden's architecture was so incredible and the sun was hitting the buildings perfectly, I couln't stop taking pictures.
Residenzschloss, home of Saxon kings. A must see inside here is the Grunes Gewolbe (Green Vault), compared to Aladdin's Cave, a collection of gold, ivory, silver, diamonds, and other precious objects. It closes at 6p so I didn't have a chance to capture the beauty. I guess I must return another trip.

Top of the Hofkirche and the staircase up to Terrassenufer (large Terrace)
 Festung Dresden and the view from Bruhlsche Terrasse.



The terrace was really nice with restaurants and a great view of the Elbe, know as the "balcony of Europe". The Bellevuegarten is lying along the river and there is a public view set up for the World Cup. I go there later to watch one of the games.

The sun was just setting and it was magnificent on the water, it was a deep burning red, I tried to capture it, but the sun was actually brighter than shown.
The Onion Dome shown behind the buildings is Yenidze, hosts a beer garden and concerts today, but once was used as a tobacco factory in 1907 (Salaam Alakhem). Next to the Albertinum is the Bruhlscher Garten.

Frauenkirche, is the symbol of Dresden, collapsed two days after the bombing on February 1945. The rebuilding finished in 2005.
A pink pipe was running through and connecting to an enterance. Around the corner is a mural depiced on the Furstenzug (102m-long). The scene, a long row of royalty on horses, painted in 1876.
Approaching the Neues Rathaus and Schloss Platz where I first started from Augustusbrucke.

I walked by the Kunstbibliothek (library) and it is connected to the rear of the Hofkirche.

Here is the Theatre Platz, Semperoper (Opera House),  there was some concerts taking place this evening and I was a bit underdress to go in and look around.

The entrance here leads to the Zwinger (meaning dungeon), was actually a party palace for royalty. The Zwinger I was actually most excited for has 6 museums with historic art, sculptures, and masterpieces. The courtyard is in the center and can be reached by any of the museums.


My battery was beginning to die as I didn't fully charge it the evening before. I was heading to watch the 2nd half of the game in the public view area.
Can't see to well all the people watching the game.
Had to at least enjoy a cold beer while watching the game, Spain vs Portugal.
 
Then after the game I took the bike back to the hostel to charge my camera. I went out for a bite to eat at this Vietnamese Restaurant, it was light and tasty. When I went back out with the bike, I was riding so nicely, but the brakes were so bad when I stopped the pedal hit my foot and cut my ankel. It stung a bit and I was walking with the bike now, then I felt the blood coming down. There was so much and it wouldn't stop, luckily I had Tempos (tissue brand) in my purse. I got back to the hostel and the receptionist bandaged me up. I think this was a sign for me to go to bed!
My 6:40a train departing back to the Bodensee, I was up all night in fear that I would miss it. Only received 5 hours and thought I would possibly sleep on the train. I was wrong, a grueling 9 hours back down.
I opened the fortune this afternoon on the train (the hostel had a fridge so they food was not spoiled), it says "You will take a chance in the future ahead" (no shit).

 I love this view in South Germany!

No comments:

Post a Comment