Sunday, October 3, 2010

Ayuthaya, Thailand

September 28th
Wake up later than I wanted to, but needed to get that sleep. I go down for the breakfast and they made eggs and gave two pieces of toast. There were 6 young Germans at the table. I finish up and go to find this street Soi 1 to see if there are rooms available. On my way I am sweating bullets and come across Wat Maha That, decide to go in.

There are some more surrounding but rather read on them to figure out which are the best. Walk down the road and turn right, quite a long walk to arrive to the center of the city. I stop at the bank for money exchange. I hand them my passport and some Euros, I get my bahts! Then I have to sign for it, the lady checks my signature and says it is different.

Ok I know it was 5 years ago I got my passort. Then the manager comes over and tell me everything is fine, sort of laughs and smiles. I leave and see Soi 1 right there, walk over to Tonys place and ask to see a room, decent and 100b less, let them know I want it but must come back. It is already 11:30a and I need to be out of the other place by 12. I could bike it but then have two bags to carry and it is hot. The other option is tuk tuk, but they try to rip you off so bad.

They wanted 100b for the round trip, I only got it down to 70. It took a total of 15mins to go there, pack, and back to Tonys. The room is sold but they have another. I get it. Then I walk across to the bike place and go riding to the wats.



 




I rode around taking pictures from the outside, just so many wats. Then I found an entrance into one from a back gate. I enter and it was actually really nice. There were a couple of kids there and asked to take my photo. Ok, they take a bunch and say thank you. I was about to walk away but had to ask why, they said homework. Thought it was really cute. Go back to my bike and there is a guard waiting there for me to pay the fee. Some of the wats are free and others not, oops. Then I want go go find this Buddha outside laying down, this one is free. Ride along the path but it is a little confusing, actually find it and then it is time to head back for this boat tour I booked.

It was a good 2.5hour riding. Very hot. I know the way pretty well and get back in 10mins. Go to Tonys and order some yellow curry. Tony and his brother ask me where I am from and tell them, Tony lived in Houston for a good while. Then it was 4p and I didn't finish my food. They wrapped up my food and stored it in the fridge.

I go for the boat tour. The view from the river was much different and enlightening. I met two girls from Canada and a guy from France. The first wat we went we had to climb over the wall. There was no canal entrance, this wat was amazing and the sun was beginning to set.

With the boat tour it was kind of a rip, went to one great wat and then this chinese market place. They dropped us off at the night market and walked back. I walked with the French guy from the tour. The walk was much longer than I thought and was tired when we reached Tonys. I really wanted to see the Wats lit up at night but also to sit for an hour.

Patrice was sitting with some people and I asked if I could join. One German who has a Scottish accent, Kersten, and an American from Billings Montana, Andrew. We have a nice chat and talk about where we are heading. They are traveling for 3 months on break from Masters program.



Mention that I am going up to Sukhothai and Andrew said maybe we will cross paths again, they are routing up that way as well. They said tomorrow they will go to Bang Pa In and Lopburi. I really wanted to check out Lopburi it is where monkeys roam freely. I was invited to come with them, they leave at 10a. Finished my beer and called it a night, have to wake up early to check out one more wat.

No comments:

Post a Comment