Saturday, October 2, 2010

Kanchanaburi, Thailand

September 26th
I slept almost the whole way, when we arrived in Bangkok I really didn't want to leave the station to just come back to head up to Kanchanaburi. Nate needed to go pick up somethings from Khao San Rd though. He is going to Kanchanaburi with me.  We just missed the number 32 bus to Khao San Rd and waited another 15mins for it. By the time it came was only 7 baht, but took 30 mins to get there.

Now it is 8:15a. Go straight to the left luggage and hop on the Internet. Was checking with Julia's family in Bangkok to see if I could leave a few things with them. It was Sunday so not sure how fast they would respond. We leave there grab some food and go to get the bus 30 to Southern terminal. See the bus go just missed it again, getting tired of this. Waiting for 20 mins and it is hot and my patiences are running out. It will still take 2 hours to arrive once we get a bus. Hop in a taxi and the guy said it was metered and knew where Sai Dài bus station was at, then he pulls over to ask one of the tuk tuk guys where the bus terminal is, and then doesn't turn on the meter. We ask how much he says 200baht, Nate and I both say no no stop. We get out of the cab and get another one. This guy speaks English and puts the meter on, comes to 85baht.

Need to buy the ticket and do some money exchange, the exchange is closed and ticket sales are upstairs. Nate goes faster than me and I lose him so find the ticket window and he is not there. The next bus is at 11a. Tell a girl that she can pay I am waiting for someone. I go around the corner and see him, tells me that there was a 10:40a for 75b. Well we get the 11a for 99.  Go downstairs to the bus. The girl from the line is on the bus and we start talking to her,Alexis, she has been traveling for a year. Really nice and gave me some names of hostels in Siem Reap.

Arrived in Kanachaburi we just need to take a taxi to the main road where all the guesthouses are located, we have them take us all to Apples. It is more than I want to pay, 600baht for one night. I said I'm going to Sugar Cane as I heard good things and it is cheap. Nate and I walk over there and they have rooms available for 150 with a fan. Sounds good!
Since it was already late in the day we were not going to Earwan National Park where the waterfalls were at. Instead grabbed a little food, showered, and went to rent a bike. There was a close trail 15 minutes to the Death Bridge Rail. The bikes were easy to rent, no deposits and pay for 24hours.
Riding on the road it still takes a little getting used to as it is the British way. Motor bikes, carts, and cars all coming for us. Get off the main road and cross over another bridge and it is a straight shot.

There were many cows on the back road and they had the strangest looking ears! I went to take a picture and it started running really fast, was scared probably from my breaks. They were awful and made
loud sreeching noises.

The bridge was beautiful and rustic. You are able to walk across it so up we went, was nice to walk toward the rest of the people instead of with them. Right at the top of the stairs there was a man and his daughter, he said she should say hi to us, she just blushed. Really precious. Almost everyone came from the city center. When we got near the end, Nate said what if a train came. All of a sudden a train was heading straight for us, tracks still operating. There were little platforms for us to safely move to while on the bridge. Was a pretty cool sight being that close to the train.

We got to the end and there was a small market taking place. Nate got us some coconuts with milk in it. There wasn't very much in there but was still good. This one vendor had something that looked really good and I waited for a family to finish ordering to get some, when they finished they took them all.

Spent a little more time there walking around but I wanted to go to the cemetery we passed, looked amazing. Rode the bikes back towards the hostel and a little more up North, hooked a right and it was right there.




  


First there is the Cemetery for the soliders who died during the war, and then another Chinese cemetery next to it. They were both beautiful but the Chinese cemetery blow me away. The sun was just about to set and there wasn't much more to do in the town. There were some Chinese arches that led to an amusement park. Seemed like it would be a lot of fun.

 


 


Returned to the guesthouse and decided to eat dinner there, I wanted pad see ew and it was not as good as Apples in Bangkok. I put some spicy in it and it was a little better. I became so tired I called it a night.








No comments:

Post a Comment