Sunday, October 3, 2010

Lopburi, Thailand

September 29th,

Didn't sleep at all, there were birds and animals making so much noise as well as my mosquito bites itching all night. I get up at 6am rinse and go see if the internet is back on. I am not liking how they turn it off at certain hours. Makes it really hard to try and connect with anyone back home. Alan is still at work so I get to talk to him for about an hour. Need to finish up booking the rest of my trip and figure out how I am getting from one point to the next. Also get my flights from San Franscico to Portland and Portland to Chicago booked.

It is now 8am and I planned on going to the Wat, Andrew was a maybe but showed up and we go get a Tuk Tuk. It will be 200b for the roundtrip, Patrice is staggering behind and joins us. It only takes about 10 mins to get there and spend about 30mins. We wanted to be back before 10a since they planned on going to Bang Pa In. I am tiring already and thinking I am not going to make the trip, but wait for them to get back to go to Lopburi with them.

The Wat was really different, there are not that many buddha wats in Ayuthaya and this one had over 200. The eyes were quite scary as they looked like the inside of glossy sea shells, when you moved it looked as if they were watching you. It reminded me of Congo. We were already sweating so bad and left. When we got back to Tony's Kerstin was eating breakfast and waiting for us. We ordered our food and sat for a bit. I mentioned I was not going to Bang Pa In and then Patrice said he didnt want to go as well. Looks like we will just head straight for Lopburi. This seems like a more relaxed plan.

The bill came and my food was not on there, so it was free. Had cereal, fruit, and yogurt. Check out time was 11am, packed up my things and waited in the restaurant area for them. The easiest way to get from Ayuthaya to Lopburi is by train. Takes about an 1.5. Kerstin suggests we walk to the train station and I suggest a Tuk Tuk. We asked how much for the Tuk Tuk and it is 50B for all 4 of us. Yes I we should take it. Then we go to the corner and they want us to pay 80, I walk away and another comes up and I say 50B for all to train. Hop in and go. The walk would have been miserable with all our stuff especially since we would still need the ferry to cross over. We arrived in 15 mins.

The next train is leaving at 1:05p, we have an hour to kill. Try to come up with a plan when we are there, heard it is so small and not really a place to stay. The only problem might be leaving after an hour or two and having to find a place in Sukhothai around midnight. Go to buy our tickets and it is 13B. We arrive in Lopburi at 2:20p and go to a guesthouse to find out the best way to Sukhothai, they tell us the train to Phitsanulok, but it would be too late to make the connecting bus there to Sukhothai. Looks like we have our decision made.

We get two rooms at Noom Guesthouse right on the corner. It is beginning to rain, we had it perfect timing. The rain was coming down so hard. Kerstin and I are rooming in the double bed and the boys have the room with the twin beds, for the one night is way only 125b per person. Glad it was so cheap.

The rain started calming down and there was a weekly market being setup. We only had about 15 mins to check out some of the museums as they close at 4p. Walk over and the guard tells us it is so late just go in for free. Thanks! The Palace had a great museum, really modern and you can tell that they are making it a bigger tourist destination. There was artifacts, buddhas, and pottery from all over Central Thailand dating from 13-16th century.
After we were really hungry and saw tons of street vendors, Andrew and Kerstin were more set on a restaurant, so we kept walking to see some more of the attractions. We walked and started seeing lots of monkeys. There were so many just climbing buildings, one stole a necklace, and others playing on cars. You can go into the Wat but I thought it was more interesting seeing them in the streets. Also I didn't want on jumping on me as they are pretty dirty from the rain and mud.

The town of Lopburi is so small that we were already back by the street market. Walked through the market and it was the best one I have seen yet, fresh salads, rice dishes, muscles, clams, shrimps, and desserts. Much different than any other. Patrice and I wanted to eat at the market and Kerstin and Andrew were still set on the restaurant. We pick a place where we can sit and eat.

I go get the salad and then some noodles with prawns and mushrooms. It ended up being so much food but the variety was good. Oh and one vendor had popcorn, bought that too. We sat outside at the guesthouse we can watch the people shop in the market and there was also a square with people doing aerobics. The King set up these free classes for people to learn these dance aerobics. Pretty funny, but a great way to bring their community together and stay fit. I tried a new beer, Leo, and it was ok. The label had Munchen written on it, Kerstin and I found that a bit odd. Andrew claimed that it tasted like Carlsberg, but we said no way. The music at the guesthouse for the evening was Oasis and Nirvana. Strange to hear in the middle of Lopburi.
It was almost 9p and we needed to pick up somethings for our train ride tomorrow morning, we were aiming for 6am. The store we found didn't have too much of a selection, but with the bread had Jiff Peanut Butter, no price. I picked it up to buy. When they rang up my products it was 219b ($8), wow that is crazy. I said no thank you.

We went back to the guesthouse and had one more beer before bed. I have been getting the worst attack of mosquitos biting me. My legs are covered and I am getting pretty sick of it all. We went upstairs and I had to take a quick shower. The group thought I was crazy as the shower was pretty grimmy. I went downstairs to turn on the light and it wouldn't work. Then I did something and think I broke it. I got the girl at the front and she tried to turn it on with a switch. Yup think I broke it. Her mom comes out, and says one minute, comes back with a candle and apologies. I had a candle lit shower, was probably better that I could see so well in there.

Went to bed under the mosquito net, hope I am protected.

No comments:

Post a Comment