Wednesday, September 29, 2010

Surat Thani, Thailand

September 25th

Wake up at 8am and get ready to leave the island. We didn't book a ticket yet so had to figure out how we are getting back up to central Thailand. Wanted to make a stop in Hau Hin and take the overnight to Bangkok. Went to one travel agency and they said the price was 1100 and only to Bangkok. Left there and went to get some breakfast since the first ferry wouldn't leave til 11am anyways. Sit down and find out all the times of the ferries leaving for the day. There was one at 10am, but it is 10 now. I ordered an ice coffee and cereal with yogurt. The place was completely English and even had imported beer, Heineken and German beer. Thought it was funny.
Finish up and go straight to another travel agency. The lady tells us some options, but has to check availability. She makes a dozen calls and says everything is sold out. Crazy how easy it is for us having all systems connected. There is one option and that is to leave at 12:30p by ferry and then to take the train at 8:30p from Surat Thani to Bangkok that will arrive at 6am. Completely losing a full day, but want to get up North to Kanchanaburi and then to Chiang Mai. Glad to have come down to the islands, but was not wanting to spend the majority of my time here. When I flew over I had no idea when, where, and how long I was going to be anywhere.
We have our departure time and the area is so small that I go sit at the English restaurant again to get some planning done for the remainder on my trip. Really do not want to lose time in case I like a city so much and want to spend extra days there. I have right now Kanchanaburi, Ayuttanya, Chiang Mai, and the some cities in Laos.

I went a couple of shops and found some earring that were pretty cute. Then head to the port a noon. It was a mess, packed full of people. There were actually 3 ferries leaving at 12:30p. On the boat I just edited my photos and listened to some music.
When we ported I had to pee so bad, I go by the tourist building and it is closed. Ask someone where do I go pee? They pointed to the other pier. There isn't enough time to walk there and back

Since the bus for the train station is right here. Great will hold it. Board the bus and I find a single seat first row, grab it. The temp is too hot and the buses too small to sit next to people comfortably. The window and door is open and I realize I have the best seat on the bus!

A few hours later we have a stop and I immediately go to use the toilet. Did not know what to think of the toilets, this place gave you a sheet of paper but usually you need to bring your own teepee. Then you throw it in the bin. To "flush" the toilet you pour water into a bucket and then dump it into the toilet.

I go to see if there is any food that looks good, but just the norm; pad thai, fried rice, and corn on the cob. The corn looks good but I go for an ice cream. Back on the bus for another 45mins.
We arrive into Surat Thani at 5p and the train leaves at 8:25p. Instantly we go walk to town. About 5-10mins and there are all vendors setup on the street. So much food to chose from, we saw some tourist and went to checkout what they were getting. Seemed to pass by here before. Soup with fish balls. I walk a little ways down to see what else there was. Nate joked about getting some critters. I found this stand that made this crepe/pancake thing. It looked delicious so I order the strawberry one, thank you she says. When she goes to put on the jam I tell her wait stop and ask to have the banana with egg. She was so happy and thanked me repeatedly, only think it is because this one was more baht. I take a seat and Nate goes to get the critters, he wasn't joking. I eat my food and it is fabulous, loaded with sugar and cream. He comes back with grasshoppers, I ask if he ate them before, nope a new experience. He said he didn't like the flavoring. I then had one, a small one, and it was not good at all.

I went to see what other foods were available. There was chicken, squid, fish, fruits and rice dishes. I asked a girl how much for the squid she said 50b , ha that is pricey. On the way back to the train saw another vendor with some squid asked how much and they said 20 baht for one and 10 for the other. Alright now were talking, got some squid. They put some chili sauce on it and it was spicy. Walked back to the station and the train is delayed. No time posted though. I find a plug and charge up the electronics.

Our train is on the tracks so we go sit on it at 8p. Two girls from Singapore sit across from us. We talk with them for a bit. I am getting so tired and lounge out on the two seats.

No comments:

Post a Comment