Sunday, September 26, 2010

Bangkok, Thailand

September 22nd


Wake up and shower immediately, was sweating if not infront of the fan. Thailand is hot and humid, but hasn't been raining so I am happy! I can deal with constant sweating. Still thinking if I really want to go down to Ko Phangan for the Full Moon party. This kind of changes the direction that I thought I would be going in. I tried shifting some things around in my pack so I could drop and bag and not bring so much down to the islands. Really know that I am only going to need a couple of dresses, swimsuit, and shorts and tanks. Of course I want to bring my electronics with me.



I am ready to get the day moving at 9:30a so go wake up Nate, didn't remember his room number and knocked on what I thought was his door. It opens and it is him. Sweet that was easy. We meet downstairs and the booking agent is sitting there so we ask her what time the bus leaves tonight to get there and how much. It will be an 8 hour bus trip and then 2 hours on the ferry, they sell joint tickets for 500B ($15). The bus takes off at 6p. We have a whole day to go see some of Bangkok.



First we go to get some breakfast I am starving. I believe Thomas (Alan's brother) mentioned a place called Roy, but found Ricky's so think that might be it. It is 5 mins away. We walk there sit and I get an iced coffee! The menu has many items I want to eat, but I decide on the banana french toast. Nate got Roast beef sandwich, which I was thinking was an odd choice for breakfast. The food came and mine was tasty, but Nate’s looked strange. After breakfast we go back to the guesthouse to check out. We can leave our bags there, but were taking a bag to a left luggage place for the next few days.


Once we go to the left luggage, we are ready to set out to see some Wat's on the river. We walk down the alley street and I thought I could get wifi, we hadn't booked our accommodations yet at the Island. Some guy starts talking to Nate and asks if he can help us. He is wearing a jacket that says Tourist Police. I find this to be hilarious. The man was so nice and gave us a map. We walk down and Nate is already complaining of how hot it is. I tell him that needs to stop, I can’t go a whole day with someone complaining. We cross under the bridge and try to follow the river down. It seems as there is a dead end at the University. Some guy asks us if we are lost and what we are trying to walk to. Ends up telling us all these things to see, and that today is a holiday. Entrances are free and Tuk Tuk's are cheaper today. That the Tuk Tuk will take us to 4 destinations for 60B, 30B per person. I read in the LP they usually quote 100 - 200B so I don’t care if it is a scam or not, we’ll take it. First experience on the Tuk Tuk. Also the person that helps usually wants some sort of fee, but we didn’t give anything. We get our Tuk Tuk for the day and spend less than $1. How is this possible. Freaking awesome is what it is.


We go first to see the 40m tall Buddha. The tuk tuk drivers says it is free today, seems free everyday. Then we go to another temple where the Golden Buddha is and a man comes in the temple and talks to us. We sit with him for 10 mins and he just wants to talk. He tells us that there is a tailor that is open only this week that makes custom made suits and jackets. You can not go into the store any other day and today is the last day.



I am beginning to see the same circuit of people with us and going to all the same destinations. I know that they earn commission and it is all a scam, so we will try to hurry up and go to the next stop just to make way to the Grand Palace. He takes us to the tailor shop and the sales guy makes a tempting offer, but neither Nate nor I buy anything.



Then the tuk tuk driver takes us to a cheaper tailor store and we walk in and out. Ok this is getting old and the exhaust is starting to bug me. We have go to a travel agency and then make it to the Grand Place. I am starting to get so hungry and light headed from all the fumes, not really wanting to get back on the Tuk Tuk. Khao San Rd is actually not that far away so we will hurry up here and then go back.




 



The Grand Palace was beautiful and lots to see. We just went to a lot of temples today and took some pics, ready to get some food and on to the bus. We go back towards our pick up point to look for accommodations and food. There is a place called Mango so we go there and I get a rice dish served in a pineapple. It was light and tastey, the only problem was it took a long time to come out and I was really really hungry by this point.








We head back to the guesthouse down the street and jump on the internet to find a place to sleep. The internet connection is so slow and the key board didn’t work. Write some quick emails to say everything is ok and I am well. Then it is time to go.



1 comment:

  1. It was Ricky's...wasn't the banana french toast redic? I also saw you had the pineapple fried rice...I miss Thailand. Jealous.

    ReplyDelete