Tuesday, September 7, 2010

Oslo, Norway


July 30th
I left the family for a train departing Langenargen to Lindau, Lindau to Memmingem, and from there I would need to take a bus to the airport. The train came on time to Langenargen and I hopped on it. Then I had a transfer in Lindau. I went to the proper track and everything appeared to be fine, until it wasn't. I swear this is the worst train station. There of course was a delay. Having not allowed any time for error, I desparately needed it to come immediately. The train ended up being 7 mins delayed vs the 10. Then I jumped on and the ride took an hour and half. Looking at my watch and the connection time to the bus I was starting to get a little worried some. I pulled into the station and had 3 mins to make the bus. The towns are so small and the buses are usually connected to the train stations that it shouldn't be a problem. I ran off the train, down the stairs, towards the city, and up the stairs to find the bus still loading people on. I was the last person on and we left. The bus ride was about 10 mins so worse case I would have taken a cab.
I arrived at the airport and went to check in with Ryan air. They have been my savor for traveling cheap! The flight from Memmingem to Rygge (40 mins outside of Oslo) was only 2 hours. I got into Norway, picked up my bag, and went to an ATM. The ATM didn't like my card and I wasn't allowed cash out. Hope the bus I want to take lets me use a cc. The line was so long that I fear I would not get on it. I didn't want to get out of line and try to find the train. There were two girls infront of me and I thought I would be the last one on, but they already counted the very first seat next to the driver for one of the girls. I had to get on the next bus. Luckily the there was another bus sitting and waiting and the driver set it up where the additional people could go on.

Arriving at the bus terminal I kind of had no idea how to get to the hostel. I was right in the city center so decided to go to the tourist information and ask them. They said it was about a ten minute walk. Very close and easy to find, I checked in. My room at the Sentrum Pensjonat, recommended by Topdeck and Hostelworld, was a mixed dorm with 8 beds. When I went up there was all guys in the room. I left the room to go check out the city.

Topdeck had a half day in Oslo planned for us, therefore I was able to do some of the not so touristy things. When I left the hostel I noticed I wasn't in the best part of town. There were guys on the street wobbling along on drugs and I started to feel a little unsafe as they stared at me. Walked up Karl Johans Street where there is much shopping and leads a path directly to the royal palace. On the way I saw the National Theater with a unique fountain and then shortly arrived at the Palace. There were gardens behind it, but not to exciting. On my map was listed the Bontanical Gardens by the Munch Museum, will make way over there. I started getting really hungry and was in search of a good place to eat. There was a place listed under budget eats called Rice Bowl, really wanted to find it. After departing from the palace I walked a little East and then head back South. There were many streets that weaved in and out. I saw some chains that sold sandwhiches, but it was much like a 7 Eleven that I don't think it to be to appetizing.

I went to go, was getting deparate, when I spotted a place called Tullins Cafe. Went inside to view a menu, the place was retro and full of locals. I thought this is perfect. I sat at the bar next to some guy and ordered a diet coke. There was another guy across the bar trying to get my attention and I saw how drunk he was that I didn't look up or make eye contact. This is the first city that I feel uncomfortable in as a woman traveling alone, actually scared that I would not be safe after hours. Then I ordered my food, omlete with spinach and tomatoes. The guy next to me had a friend arrive and they were looking for another stool, I said I can move down one if you like.

He said no this is fine, then asked if I was a tourist. I said yes. Then he started talking to his friend and I continued to eat my meal. After I was done, I was waiting for the waitress so I could pay my bill. Then the guys started talking to me and asking where I come from and such. We talked so much I end up hanging out with them the whole evening. They were two really nice people that were only supposed to go out for one drink. They used to work for Myrille Lynch and every time I hear that company I think of Elena doing her internship with them.



Anyways we went to a bar after an hour or so. It seemed like I was under dressed as I was wearing a tank and jeans and had my backpack on. Oh well. While at the bar waiting to order a drink some guy comes up to me and licks his finger and runs it down my arm. I just about died and said please do not touch me. Then he comes up and puts his arm around my waist. I jump back and say really get away from me. I grab the drinks and hurry upstairs. Tell the boys, Adam and Anders, what happened.
Later, I have to go to the bathroom and was keeping an eye out for that creep. I go downstairs and everything is fine. As I head back up the stairs the man spots me and starts hoping towards me saying oooohh, I now pick up the pace and run up the stairs. Our table was right at the top so I slip between the guys for them to protect me, while saying he is coming. They didn't understand what happened at first as it was all so fast until the guy came up the stairs and says

"Oh sorry". He apologies to them and not me, strange. Then he goes to harrass some other girl. I felt pretty bad for her.

It is getting pretty late and we start to head out. I talked about going on a hike with Anders the next day to get out of the city center. We planned for the morning. It was 4am when I got in.

July 31st
The next day I get up around 8am since I wasn't sure if he said half til or past 9a. Just wanted to make sure that I would receive his call. He was running a bit late and we met up at 10a at the Train Station. Figured out how to get to the hiking trails and set off on the metro. He had a meeting midday, since he was heading to Geneva for 2 months for work.
 
We started on a trail and I thought we were headed towards the ski jump, Holmenkollen. The trail took longer than expected and went much more North than the jump, we hiked 6km and then he asked if I wanted to hike to the end. I said sure. We ended up doing 18km. 


  I was straving and he was late. The trail was beautiful and we worked off the calories from last night.
 
We talked pretty much about everything and anything as we were hiking for 4 hours.


We departed and I was in search of the Bontanical Gardens since I was close to the metro stop.



Got off and went to the Munch Museum and the BG was right next to it. The BG was beautiful. I really enjoyed it and took may pics.


The area of the BG has many museums connected around it, but everything closes at 4p and there is no place to pee. My bladder was screaming and I needed to relieve. I was tempted to go in a bush.





It was so peaceful and no one was really around since it was just raining on the walk over. Luckily, I packed my rain jacket and had the rain cover for the backpack. I felt perfectly prepared. I don't mind the rain as long as I have some sort of coverage; umbrella, rain coat, or cover for the backpack.

 Then it was time for me to set off in search of food. The guys said that there was one district really good for ethnic food. This area is where they all live.
Walking South I would pretty much run right into it as well as head to the hostel. I found this Indian place and sat down to eat. The food was mediocure. Not the same as what Al and I had, to be honest my expectations were high and I was let down. Then I had the guy pack up my food to go and I would eat the leftovers the next day. Always good when the cost of food and drink is ridiculously expensive.
I head back towards the hostel under the bus station and it was really bizarre, people had mini garage sales out in the open. I saw couches, tvs, books, you name the useless crap and it was there. I had a very strange perception of Oslo thus far. I went back to the hostel and thought maybe I shouldn't leave.

After spending a couple of hours there in the common room (could connect to the wifi), I didn't feel an urge to talk to anyone in there. I think I was so bothered by the people and the odd things that were happening I didn't want to go out. I went up to the room and thought about going to sleep. There was a guy that just got in and started talking to him. He was Canadian and just ended a sailing trip. Sounded pretty awesome. I decided to go check out the Opera house, read that it was pretty to see in the evening, and asked if the guy wanted to come. He said, "Yes I didn't want to intrude, but would like to go". It started raining 5 mins after we walk out. Pretty light, but knew it would pick up.

We arrived at the Opera house and it was a new modern design. You could walk up the sides of the building as it inclined, then around the back. Inside had a spiral wood design inclining for each level. Then we left. I went to charge my camera and touch and see if it was possible to get my photos on the touch. No such luck.

August 1st
The next day I was meeting up with Topdeck, but not until 6p at the campsite. I had the whole day and wanted to go walk down the river I read about, 9km distance. There were said to be many waterfalls. I went to find some breakfast and checked out the Dom, then headed to the National Museum (free). Before I could start the hike I wanted to check out of the hostel as I would not be back before 11a. 


I took the bus to the top of the trail (26Krone, $4), last bus stop possible. The weather started heating up and it was quite warm. The walk down was what I envisioned Oslo to be, beautiful. Here I walked past the more wealthy and trendy parts of town. The trail was very easy to follow and I came to a part where I wanted to see a cementary. So I detoured off the trail after an hour walk down. I started to think this was best anyways since I was getting closer to town, there probably weren't so many more waterfalls or places that interesting to see.

The cementary was a bit of a steep hike up and I was tiring from the day and not eating. The 18km hike was taking effect as well. I went in and snapped some shots. Then headed down and really was wanting to get to the hostel to eat my leftovers I stored in the fridge! I went to catch a bus and the guy told me the fare was 40 Krone to the center, 2 stops away. Rip off, I was pissed. I just said you are crazy and got off the bus. Public transportation is supposed to be a cheaper way of travel, not in Oslo.

When I returned to the hostel I grabbed my food and heated it up, umm something is missing. The guy didn't put my Nan in there. Bastard. I sat at the table and ate my food, meanwhile some peope were talking and they were a bunch of dudes and one girl. They were German and she was Australian. The guys were completely annoying and trying to be charming. She was just laughing at them. I said a couple of things and then left. I took my backpacks to walk down by Aker Brygge as there was a bus stop pretty close to make way to the campsite. It was really nice down by the port, but then again isn't it always the place to be? I then found out that the bus stop was not there and now had to go in search of one. Not something I wanted to do as I planned the timing perfectly and had both the packs.

There was a tourist information place near and walked in to ask. They said right by the National Theater is a stop. I head up there and it is all under construction. There is a sign that says something and 100m. Not sure what this means. I ask a local what the sign reads and she doesn't know which direction I want to go. I said it seems like the stop has move 100m? Still she wasn't sure. Not much help. I walk up along the route since I remember seeing a bus stop. It is not the right one. Shit this sucks. Go back down towards where the bus is supposed to be originally and see a different bus, but it was listed with mine on the sign! Success mine should be close. Right behind it was bus 23, I start to run as I don't want to miss it. Take the 20 min ride up and get off at the stop. A girl exits next to me says weren't you just in the hostel. Same girl that was getting hit on by those guys. Pretty funny. She is on the tour with me, Krysten. We go to reception and are talking outside while waiting for the guides to come up. It is now 6:15p and there is no sign of Topdeck. We ask reception and she says that they are all here. We head down to the site and say hello. There are only 2 people that are there at that moment and they are my roommates. Krysten has to wait for hers to come back.

 
 
 
Some more people start to surface and we get introduced slowly. There are some people joining and others departing. the next day we are having a full day in Oslo so it should be interesting to see who hangs out with who.  Krysten and I want to go for a little hike, there is a lake near and 3 other girls come with. Emma who is rooming with me and Alesha and Leticia, we get a little lost and two turn back. Now it is just Kysten, Emma, and myself. We find the lake and take a moment to snap a photo!
 
August 2nd
The night before I could not sleep so well. Think I was highly dehydrated from all the hiking and walking the previous days. I slept for only a few hours and we woke up pretty early to get the day going in Oslo. There were a couple of things on my list to see yet, but mainly everything was done. Krysten, Emma, and I planned to spend the day together. I knew the city pretty well so I pointed out what was good and what was not worth it. We decided that we would try and find some sushi or seafood for dinner.




We had breakfast at the camp and today was a pack lunch. Basically just make a sandwhich, grab a candy bar and juice and head out. First, we stop at Vigeland Park where there are 200 sculptures that are famous for being inappropriate. We had about 30 mins there and snapped some quick shots. After leaving the park we head over to the Viking Museum. The Viking Museum was small and not much to it. I was still not feeling very well, exhaustion now from the lack of sleep, I couldn’t get into the mood of really enjoying taking some photos. I was walking out of the museum and Tony, guy on trip, asked if I got some good shots. I said not really, not really feeling up to it. Then I asked him and he showed me some pics on his camera. They were pretty good, and I found some inspiration from him to take some more improved photos. Happy that he stopped to ask. We left the museum and made way to the Fram and Kon Tiki, I wanted to go to both and waited along the lake with some other people until we were ready to enter.

Then some people came back and told me that they just were in the Kon Tiki. Shoot I missed it, there would have been time to enter, but nobody seem quite impressed. I made the guides aware that I really wanted to go into the Fram and to let me know. We were getting a group discount and it was 45NOK. Student prices are only 26NOK so I said nevermind, I am using my ISIC. Got in for cheaper! The Fram was really amazing exhibit, you are allowed to walk on the ship and go inside. It was my favorite of the 2!
Then Topdeck dropped us off at Town Hall and said there would be a pick up at 5:30p and 8:30p. The girls and I set out for the Town Hall, the Fortress, Opera house, Botanical Gardens, and if there is time the National Museum and Palace. Learned earlier in the morning that Emma can’t stand bananas, the smell grosses her out, so I walked to “check” the times for the city hall (I ate my banana then). We went in and there were some pretty amazing murals on the walls all throughout the building. After we went straight up to the Fortress as it was pretty close by. The weather was perfect out and we had a nice leisurely stroll through the parks and fortress. Again not to far way we walked to the Opera house and the view this time was much better! The building was a nice bright white and stood out from afar. I told the girls that they could go up and walk around but I needed to take a break after all the walking I did the past couple of days. Also I was starting to crave a cup of coffee! We sat on the platform and soaked up some sun while I made our route to the Gardens.
Before heading over, I grabbed a latte and we stopped at the ATM for Krysten. We walked up and over by the canal to continue the walk that I did yesterday. I didn’t walk the entire way down as it started to look a little boring and I rather have gone to check out the cemetery. Well I was right, it was somewhat of a boring walk, but at least it was the quickest and not out of the way.

We reached the Gardens and entered in from a different way. At this moment I had to pee again. Something about the BC that just brings it out of me. Again the museums were closed, being a Monday and all. I led us through and over to the Munch museum as I used the toilets there the other day and knew they were free! Now it was getting a bit later and we were starting to get hungry and the bus was coming at 5:30p. We hopped on the metro and rode it to the National Museum stop where it was only a few mintues from the pick up point.

Some group memebers were already there and we actually decided that we should stay in town to get something to eat. Wasn’t entirely sure what was up by camp and didn’t want to wait to find out. We headed over by Aker Brygge and it was starting to get a bit chillier. We were in search from the sushi, but everything down there was crazy expensive no matter the cuisine. We went to a little deli and got some sandwhiches. They were cheaper and would have to do. The girls later wanted to get ice cream and I wasnt in the mood for it, so I went into H&M there to see if there were was more variety. Couldn’t relocate the girls but we knew the bus was coming back down at 7:30p and be sure to meet them back there so we didn’t miss the group coming off to know where they were going for a drink. Sure enought they were waiting at the bus for me.

We asked where we were going and some guy said you will know when we get there. Ok, but we want to chatch the bus to camp at 8:30p. We walk about 20 mins up the road and then tell them that there is no way we can make the bus back, sorry guys. So we turn around and walk straight back to the bus (what a waste of time and energy). We got on the bus and got to camp. People were hanging out and there was much talk of going out to the bars. I wasn’t in the mood, extremely tired. Everyone then started saying that you must go out. We will be camping and it is the last city to go out in until Helsinki (day before last). Really, well I didn’t think of that. So I got dressed and made a drink. I was not going to be the only new person going out. I made Tony persuade Emma to come out with us and she was a real trooper and there was not much peer pressure.
We went out about an hour later, we were meeting up with the people that went out on the first bus. Stopped in a small pub for a pint and chated with some of the group. Come to find out two of the guys will be at Oktoberfest for the same weekend and then head to Thailand a day later than me. Pretty wild. Then we were in search of a bar called Yahtzee. The place was packed, a cover to get in, and took a while to receive a drink at the bar. The music was good so we danced, lot of drinks were spilled on the ground and my shoes soaked them up. It was beginning to get disgusting in there. I think they were beyond their capacity. Then we finally decided it was time to go when I had a drink thrown at my back. It was a little deserved when I was fed up with the drinks being spilled on me I poured one down a girls shirt. We got in a cab and took off. My hair, clothes, and shoes were drenched. Pretty memorable night in Oslo. The next day we take off.

No comments:

Post a Comment