Tuesday, September 14, 2010

Olderfjord, Norway

August 9th
Wake up and not very coherent, but feel I need to shower badly. Smell of campfire. Everyone was pretty grateful that Jane and I cleaned up the hot chocolate, mallows, bottles, and booze before going to bed. I remember seeing Luke hoisting up Tony’s thong last night and now it was being tossed around. I said whoever touches it last has to wear it. Then all of a sudden it is thrown at me. Great, I put it on and hold our flag proud. Can’t wait to send it to Tony. We are going to Olderfjord today and then tonight up to see the midnight sun at North Cap. We have two nights here since it is such a late night. Really in need of a double night somewhere. Again hoping the accommodations are nice. It is a long drive today since we are heading to the most Northern point. Plan on sleeping and watching a movie.

Driving again along the coast to Kvænangens it is so pretty. Tons of homes right on the lake shore. The weather was really cloudy and gloomy looking. On the road in Lapland, we started seeing many reindeer! It was awesome. We stopped for lunch and set up right in a parking lot. I remember this lunch very well as I was hungry and nothing looked appetizing, the “chef” nice and hung over over cooked the rice and undercooked the pasta. It was so bad that I didn’t eat anything.


I was a bit nervous of the weather being so cold at Nord Kapp that I wanted to find some gloves, there were a few stores around so I stocked up on a few things. Had no more Krone so bought Scott his food/beer and mine, and found gloves in a near by store for cheap cheap. We got back on the bus and rested. When we arrived at camp everyone was so tired. Went to my cabin, but it was freezing in there. I went across the way to the boys cabin since they had a standing heater and their room was toasty. There was laundry facilities here so I planned on finishing my bigger loads. I tried to laid down and started to take a nap, I was getting a headache. Then it was already time for dinner. Again it just did not look good, unhealthy. I ate a little. We had some time to kill before setting out at 10:30p. It is a 2 hour drive from Olderfjord.




I was exhausted and didn’t feel up for the bus ride there. I sat next to Derek and we talked the whole way, then I decided I should crack open on of my beers. It was not going down so well. We arrived at Nord Kapp and walked around for a bit. Not much to do, it was really bright, but also very cloudy. Couldn’t capture the view in a photo. Went inside to warm up and thought I could fall asleep on the table. 12:30a rolled around and we were leaving at 1am, went back outside heard some people were climbing up the globe structure. Sounds like fun, I want to do it. I get some help from Jason, it was quite scary up there. Then I headed down and the sun was shinning brighter. The view was becoming more and more illuminated. Now I was awake and didn’t want to leave so quickly. Went to the bus and traded one of my Carlsberg for Derek’s Tuborg. It was smaller and better.



The bus ride back was more entertaining, Joey came in the back and sang a Kiwi song, was pretty funny. Arrived at camp at 2:30a and hung out til about 6a.








 Emma, Krysten, Derek, and I went to brush our teeth and then went down to the lake. Took some pics, tried to chop some wood and build a fire. We were unsuccessful and called it a night. Brunch was at 11a tomorrow so we were able to sleep in. Planned on a hike with Alicia as it was a free day.




August 10th

Wake up and still want more sleep, but should go eat the brunch so I don’t get hungry later on. I walk down to the tent and everyone is already up and eating. Some people on on their seconds. it is only 11:15a. I grab lots of juice, water, and coffee. There were some yummy potatoes and I had a little eggs. Talked to Alicia about the hike and she said we should go around 12:30. Sounds good, we just needed to ask reception what trails were around here.

Derek and Anneka are up for the hike as well. Then we set out and there is a trail around the lake that is clearly marked. We start heading up and find the “T” in red. This must be it. We walk a steady pace, nothing to fast. There was not much to see until we reached the top and saw out onto the lake. We are were talking and getting to know one another more in depth. Alicia is so amazing she is a PE teacher in London, but an Aussie and she told me about this Grand Canyon excursion she did with some people she knew through a friend. It was a month long and sounded pretty wild. The people had to wait 13 months for the permit to go through and she just jumped on board and only had to wait a few months. Lucky girl. Anneka is also Aussie living in London and a teacher, she is a bit younger and a little naive to things. Derek and I talked a lot on the bus last night, it is great because he knows a little German so we were speaking. Need to keep up while I am away.



The hike then proceeded into muddy waters and seemed like we were going into a swamp. Was really wishing I wore my trekking shoes. I was wearing my running shoes. Then my feet were soaked and we thought that would be the worst of it. Nope we felt like we were walking through a lake at this point. We we going down hill and away from it now. The hike was 10km long and I think we did it in 2 hours. It was nice to get some exercise that wasn’t to strenuous. When we got back it was time for a nap. Basically my free day consisted of sleep, eat, hike, sleep, shower, laundry, eat, and sleep.

I didn’t clean my shoes properly until after I woke up and the sun wasn’t as hot anymore. They were more wet now and I went to find the spare heard that Derek had found yesterday. I put it in our room and out my shoes under it. Our room was pretty toasty at this point. I had Krysten, Jane, and Sally in there. Then later we wanted to see the sun set it was so red, but we were too late. Derek and I ended up walking down to the beach and then back up to camp. It was already 10p at this time, yes the sunset. The next day we leave early and make our way into Finland!

No comments:

Post a Comment