Sunday, September 19, 2010

Riga, Latvia

August 15th,

Get on my flight with Airbaltic, a man is in my window seat. He is pretty big and fat for this small aircraft. I let him have the seat, but really wanted to see the city when flying over. We were there pretty quick. Enter into Riga and had a couple of maps. One from when Felix and I went to Prague and then the LP book on the Baltic cities. When I got off the airplane there were 4 buses, wasn't sure which went into the main terminal for the baggage claim. The attendant looked at me like I was crazy when I asked which bus to take.


After getting my bag I went to the ATM. The exchange rate was quite frightening and wasn't sure how much I should really take out. Took out 20 LVB, was $50. Take the bus to the city center and keep my eyes peeled for the Monte Cristo hotel. I get off and walk around 10 mins looking for the hostel. I know it is down one of the little side streets but not finding the right street to get on. I go into the Monte Cristo and ask. I find it, check in, and they are really nice and lively. Have a good feeling about the Naughty Squirrel. I don't have so much time as I leave tomorrow at 1p, drop my bags and go walk around. Start to miss those days where the sun was up til 11p. It was dark and loud out on the streets in Riga. Derek suggested that I go up the Skyline bar at night, really nice views and good night life. I took the main road to the Opera house, at night it is so lovely all lit up. Right on the canal so it was an easy decision to walk up and check out the views.

  

I reach the freedom monument and head towards the Skyline Bar. Pass by a Cathedral. Then get to a Radisson Blue. Is this where the skyline bar is? Guess so, 2nd Radisson Blue today. Go up see the view and then go down. The drinks were expensive and I was so burnt out from drinking the past weeks that i decided I would be fine not getting anything. I walked back to the canal and went up. It was peaceful and pretty.

I wanted to walk back down the river as there were three bridges and were sure to be lit up. I cut over past the National Museum and then started walking over a bridge. This is definitely not the way I want to be going. Headed back and found the underpass. Riga is fairly safe, but it is not a common tourist city, so I was a little bit nervous being out late on my own. The Castle was right there, but couldn't see much as walls were covering it. I walk up the river and get some good pictures.

Then I get back to the hostel and hop on the internet to make sure things are in order for tomorrow. I have a flight at 1p and want to go back out walk to the Alberts way as it is a really artstic street.

I go to bed around midnight. I lay in bed and it is pretty loud outside (bar below the hostel). I dooze off and about an hour or so later some people come into the room. So loud I wake up and am pissed. Weird things started happening, left like I was bit by mosquitoes and itched incredibly bad. Thought I was tearing my skin off. Then finally slept after a bit.


August 16th

Wake up, shower, and want to make as much noise as possible but don’t. I read on this backpackers place for breakfast. Go down and check out of the hostel. Walk and would like a coffee, find place by the hostel and it is expensive, so wait til breakfast. Walk to St. Peters as you can go up the tower and has the best views besides Skyline Bar. It doesn't open until 10am. The breakfast place is right down the street so I will kill some time there.

I walk in and it seems like they are just opening, it is 9am. There were pancakes with marmalade or filled with bananas and other kinds (just listed what I ate), and got a coffee. The price I paid was as much as one coffee at the other place, 2LVL. Finish up and walk back towards the church to the main plaza. The blackhouse is here but not open either til 10am. Go in to a souvenir shop to see if there is anything I want. Nope not really, but I did find a patch. It is now 10am and I go to St. Peter's as it is 100m away. When I get there it is not open. I can't wait any longer as I have a flight in a few hours.

I walk towards Alberta Rd as I know the way pretty fast. Pass by the freedom monument during the day and it looks better at night. Then I get to the street and it was not so worth the hustle and bustle. I could have gone to the market outside the train station instead. Oh well. Walk back and look at some little stands as filled with Amber. All the stands were the same (filled with Amber). How can they all sell the same products? I get back to St. Peter's and still not open. Pretty bummed. Walk around a bit and then it is time to get my bus back to the airport.


I get my bag and hop on the bus, buy my ticket from the bus driver and throw it in my bag. Then I am messing around taking pictures of the bridge while we cross it. We come to the next stop and there is a stop and check to make sure everyone on the bus has a ticket. I search for it in my backpack and the guy is standing over me. Can't find it. I open my wallet to see if I put it in there...hand him a ticket but it is the one I bought yesterday. A lady is saying something to him and since I was taking so long the guy was telling me to get off the bus and the police were coming on board. No I have a ticket and I need this bus. The bus driver didn't say anything as I waved to him like don't you remember just selling me a ticket. The lady said something again and they went off the bus. Not sure what she did or said but was very thankful. I smiled to her said thank you and apologized. I continued to search for my ticket so it would happen again. Found it 20 seconds later. I was a little panicky as they would have tried to charge me some sort of penalty if I got off.



Get to the airport and go to the counter to drop my bag. Walk through security and go to a gift shop as I have 5 LVL left. Bought a drink and a tile plate, only things I could afford.



No comments:

Post a Comment