Sunday, September 26, 2010

Oktoberfest, Munich

September 18th

Feel pretty good this morning and go for a hour run. When I get back shower and am ready to go to Wisen. Wisen is the Bavarian name for Oktoberfest. Thomas and I are meeting up with Fabi and his friend Anthony that flew in from New York. We go out to the fairgrounds around 1p. The first thing that I want is to buy some of the roasted Mandala nuts. They are the best and I have been craving them since Sabine bought them at the Friedrichschafen Festival. We go to meet them at the Spaten tent and much to our surprise it is open and allowing us to walk in. Thomas and I were dressed in normal clothes as no one was in the mood to wear the traditional Dirndl or Leaderhosen. We instantly find Fabi and Anthony and now just have to work on finding a place to sit. We walk around and Fabi asks each table if we can sit there. They all say no. Then we go over and ask the Frau if she can help us get a table and we will throw 50 euro her way.



While waiting some guy comes up behind me and put black makeup paint on my nose. He was dressed as a jester. I saw some other women that had this black stuff and was a little peeved that I now had it on. She comes back 5 mins later and takes us to a seat. At first the people are like no, but they make them let us in! Then we look at the menu and think we should eat right away. Fabi already ordered us beers, he is quick. The boys each get a roasted chicken and I get my final Wurst salat. It was pretty good, but I like the families better. Then we were singing and drinking.


 We were talking to the people next to us and getting to know them pretty well. When 4p came we had to get up and leave the table for the next reservations. We saw some seats available next to some kids and I asked if we could sit there. No problem they said. Then the couple from our other table Maria came and joined us as well. Next it was more singing and drinking. The day pretty much went like that until the tent closed. I tried to meet up with Scott from the Topdeck tour, but I didn't have a phone and couldn't find him when I went out by the entrance. Cordula, Kiki, Kathrine, and Ursi all showed up and kept us going strong. We sang and sang. Then it was time to head out of the tents.


We walked around the fairgrounds and got some more food from the vendors. There were some strange things going on, some people were laying on the ground and Thomas went to join them. We were laughing so hard. Cordula did a cartwheel over one of the guys. Benedict called Thomas so we met up with him. I drank a coffee as I was exhausted. Cordula asked if it was going to keep me up all night. I said probably not. Fifteen minutes later we took the metro back to the house and passed out.



September 19th

The next morning I woke up at 10am and didn't feel to hungover. I lost my voice the night before from all the singing, I now sounded awful. Thomas looked pretty bad and felt kind of sick again. He was going to take it east today and said he probably wouldn't go. I text messaged Scott and he said that they were going to Lowenbrau today and he is wearing blue. I worked on the blog and Thomas heard horses coming. There was a little parade down their street. First time that has happened.



Around 3p I set out to meet Scott. I get to the tent and try to make my way in. They are not letting anyone in. There were so many tourist here that it felt a little odd. Then I asked one of the security people if I could go in to find my tour. She said to go by the front, I walk to the next door and see people are walking in, so I go. Make a few rounds and don't see anyone in blue. I stop and see Milesy from the tour! I say hey, he was shocked I was there. Then he shows me where everyone is. It worked out pretty good. Luke, Scott, Scott, Rash, Marissa, and Joey were all in the same area. We sat and had a stein. So good to see them all.

I was so hungry by this point that I had to leave to get something. I said by to them all and went to the bathroom. Thomas and Fabi were again in the tent we were at yesterday so I headed there to meet up with them.


I see a stand that looks quite appealing, they had weiss wurst and potato salad. I needed to have it one final time. I sit and eat and some older gentleman complimented me on me know how to eat the weiss wurst. I left and stopped at a stand to buy some more nuts. Then get to the tent walk in and see Thomas walking opposite of me. They were on their way out! Good thing I came when I did. They were heading to the other Spaten tent as Benedict was there and possibly this girl Natasha.



We get there and it takes about 30mins to find Bene. Fabi, Anthony and I stay with him and T&C go to look for Natasha. There are some really drunk people there today. It is Sunday and many people have to work the next day. Fabi and Bene were wanting to kind of take off, but held through. The tent was clearing and I suggested we call Lisa. She was actually a few rows behind us. She saw me and ran over! It was pretty awesome. I went to meet her co workers and say hi. She is such a fun girl. I always have the best time with her.



Bene, his gf, and I all leave and walk toward the U bahn.



Sept 20th

Last day in Munich and I am going to try and meet up with some co-workers from STA. They fly in today and would be ready around 4p. My flight is not til 11p so I have some time. I receive an email from T&C saying what if we do a goodbye dinner at Augustiner at 7p. It is a great idea. I was in the house the whole day packing, blogging, and making sure everything was in order for the trip. At 2:30p I called STA people and the number they gave didn't work. I was pretty bummed and tried mulitple variations of it. Still not sure what the problem was. I emailed them to see if they wanted to come to Augusiner at 7p.

I am ready to go at 6:15p to meet up there. I go and Cordula, Kiki, Thomas, Bene, Tommy, and Tobey all show up. It was nice and relaxing and actually my first time to the beer garden. Say my goodbyes and Thomas and I leave for the airport, said 8:30p but it was 9p. I arrive and wait to drop my bags off at the counter. The line took forever to check in and get the luggage tags.

After I get through and drop off my bag, I head to passport control. Little bit nervous here as I have been in Germany for quite some time even though I departed to the UK back in July with Alan. I get to the window and the guy asks when when I arrived, July 18th, he repeats what I say and I reply yes. Then I say I did a tour. He stamps my passport and I go through. On my flight I go to Abu Dhabi....





No comments:

Post a Comment