Wednesday, September 29, 2010

Koh Phangan, Thailand

September 23rd

They pick us up and we walk to the bus stop. The ride down was long but an overnight. They played some movies, Point Break and Sherlock Holmes. We had a stop at midnight and got some food, curry with fried rice. Then I went to sleep. Woke up at 4am and we arrived at our destination at 6am. The ferry was leaving at 8:30a to the island and would take another 2 hours. Lots of traveling just to spend time on the islands for a few days.

When we arrived at the ferry it was scorching hot out. I went down below to change my clothes from a t-shirt and long shorts to a dress I bought in Bangkok. Wish I did it sooner, 10 degrees cooler. I wanted to take some pictures so I pulled out my camera and the battery latch broke, didn't do anything it just snapped off. Great. I will check the warranty when I get home.








We finally arrived at Koh Phangan and we didn't have the name of our hotel that was booked, Nate forgot to write it down. Had to go to the internet cafe to check out what it was in the email. Get online and there is no email. Ok so now we are racking our brains trying to figure out what it is. Nate just kept apologizing for not writing it down. We email the booking agent to see if they can resend our confirmation.

While waiting went to eat and sat at a restaurant that had free wifi. Kept checking and nothing. Then I called the company from skype and there was a horrible connection. Got through right away so Nate went to call from the payphone.

The name of our hotel is Mandalai, we get a taxi for 150B per person, little pricey. The ride was only 15 mins and check in. The hotel is beautiful. Hot shower, robe and slippers, and right on the beach...price was $34! First thing I want to do is go swimming, find out that the water is a little too warm. I spend about 45 minutes in it. Then lay and relax on the lawn chair, fall asleep in the shade. After the nap I wake up shower and get ready for the evening.

We head down to the Full Moon party around 8p. The taxi was taking 4 other people from the hotel. They had met traveling and joined up together. Two from Manchester and two from The Netherlands. They were so nice that we asked if they wanted to get some dinner together. We found a little place and I had some spicy curry (delicious). We sat for another beer and talked about this and that, the vibe was very comfortable with them all.
 
Once we paid, walked to Tommy's Resort as Milesy and Scotty (Topdeck Tour people) were meeting me there. They were right in front and found them pretty easily. Felt a little bad since they said they were waiting there for a few hours. Oops. Didn’t realize, just thought they were hanging out in the area with some people.


The fire shows started around midnight and they light up some signs that said Welcome to Thailand. It was set up where all the bars played different types of music along the beach. It started to rain and was really funny watching everyone fun for shelter. It is just a little rain. Nate and I got separated and made our own way back up to the hotel.

My trip up there took 2.5 hours. Drove the entire island and had to wait about 30-40mins to pick up more people. Insane. I was so tired, the taxi was packed and the driver told me that I could sit up front. I guess I was the only one not screaming at him. Everyone was pissed, but when there are that many people drunk trying to get back to their hotel there is not much you can do.

Right when I got back I saw an email from Dad and had to deal with some car stuff at home, luckily he was online. We got it all taken care of pretty quickly as it was 7a. And I tried to connect with Alan, but just missed him online. Then I crashed!










September 24th

I woke up around noon and didn’t feel too bad, just still a little sleepy. Went to lunch and ordered crab and calamari, even though it was amazing the crab was a lot of work. When we were finished went to figure out what to do for the day. It was already 3p. Took a long time to eat the crab. There was a diving business down the street owed by a guy who used to live in Manchester. He let us know there was a good place to go snorkeling on Mae Had beach, only 15 mins away. His taxi guy could take us. I went to get my suit, camera, and money. We met back up and the guy takes us there.
The resort that the beach was on had snorkeling gear and a few massage huts on the beach. It had been 4 days in Thailand and no massage yet, ummm. Immediately we went out snorkeling as they time you for price. So quickly you saw the most amazing fish in the coral. There were so many various kinds all eating the coral, it was very peaceful and calm under water. I loved it. I lasted for about 35mins, the mask was putting too much pressure on my forehead so I was going to go in for a bit and then head back out.



When I was swimming in I thought there were some rocks so I put my hand down to balance myself. It was coral. I cut my hand in 4 different places. Then I was getting worried that I would cut myself again so when I was close enough in and tried to walk a little piece got the brink of my toe and cut it too. What the heck, it was so easy going out that I didn't have to think about being cut.

Once I got in I went straight for a massage. Chose the aloe verva massage so it would help with my cuts. The massage was great. I want one everyday!

After I met up with Nate, asked him what he did for the past hour. Talked to everyone in sight, swear that boy does not stop talking. Walked around the beach for a little bit, my cuts were stinging again. The sun was just setting and it was an incredible view, the clouds were on the horizon. The later it got the more orange it became, I couldn't believe my eyes.

Started getting hungry, so we sat to eat at the resort. Craved Green Curry since I didn't get it last night. The food came out and I commented on how watery it appeared. The curry was the worst I ever had, did not satisfy my craving.








Left there pretty quickly and since the hotel was only 3km away figure we could walk. On the walk heard so many animals that I scared myself once and thought something was coming out of the trees. I actually screamed and jumped. Made it back to the hotel within 50mins and the felt the hike was much needed. I was exhausted though and got back took a shower and went right to sleep.

No comments:

Post a Comment