Monday, September 13, 2010

Skibotn, Norway

August 8th

Alicia and I woke up at 6a for the run and said we should go for about 30mins. We warm up with a walk and then head up the road. There was a nice walk/bike path along the street so we just followed that. We were running for 20 mins when we saw in the foggy mist a Moose and her baby. It was unbelievable. This is the time I wish I had my camera. Could not believe how close we were to them. They were coming up from the lake and I think they have adapted to the time since it was now almost 6:30a and this is when the cars start to heavily flow. Before we had not seen one car on the road and right after we saw some traffic coming about. Interesting. We went for another 10 mins and then I suggested that we turn around and run back as it would be an hour. We head back and thank god she is with me because I think I would have wussed out and stopped after a bit. We had a great pace going and it was nice to power through a long run. I think it helped that we just went on the hike yesterday. I know that I will be a little sore the next day. The other reason for the long run today is there was a long bus ride. Basically we go to the Polar Zoo and then to camp where we will do the Polar Plunge and jump into the freezing cold Arctic waters.








On the bus we tried to entertain ourselves playing some games, sleeping, watching movies. The Polar Zoo was nothing spectacular and there was a lot of complaining from the group about how lame it really was. We went during the feeding time as you were sure to see the animals. There were many people there. We saw about 5 animals. Leopard, Moose, Wolf, Wolverine, and Bears. The bears were the main attraction - Salt and Pepper, although they both looked like Pepper. Then we walked out of the zoo and had lunch. Lunch today was hot dogs, honestly can't eat hot dogs unless they are from Chicago. That is the only time I crave them.



We get on the bus and head for Skibotn. Tonight I want to was my clothes as they are in need of it. So I get my things ready but it would be best to do it after the Plunge. We get to our cabins and again I am with Emma, Krysten, now Sally, Yvonne, and Helen. Everyone is immediately ready to go head to the bridge to jump in. Many of the older women do not want to jump in, they decide to go walk in further down from the bridge, but back before we begin. Everyone is standing with their cameras except I didn't bring mine, figured there were enough there. So the first person to go jump is Marcus and he just heads up. Joey says a girl should go next and I am ready after swimming in the lake last night, so I head over. I need help getting up because it is a thin board and I have short legs. I wave to all and then take the Plunge. It is freezing, I mean beyond freezing. I got some water in my nose and it was so cold it made it hard to swim. I got out and wanted to get in the sauna as soon as possible. I watched a few people jump in, Tony wore a Norway flag thong, pretty funny. You could tell he was embarrassed as he ran really fast away from everyone and to the bridge. Then Anneka, Derek and I all headed to the sauna and it was marvelous. People came to join us and I left short after, to packed. I wanted to take a shower and get my laundry going.


We had dinner and since we set up the tent last night we were on pot duty tonight. Darryl, Claire and I cleaned up. I washed all. Then when I went to get my laundry the guy at reception told me that it took tokens for the washer and NOK for the dryer. Ok, I have to go get my money. Then I went back and he was gone. This is great....I was so upset because I really needed to wash my towel. Marissa the cook gave me some detergent and I hand washed anything I could. Luckily the dryer took coin. Scott (Perth) came and kept me company, he was also in need of a little space from the group. I was really grateful that I didn’t have to do my laundry all alone. Everyone already headed down to the campfire and started roasting marshmallows and drinking hot coco. I had to catch up and ate 3 burnt mellows! This was Scott and Tony's last night, so everyone planned on putting a few back. Jane started doing jumps in the air and wanted to be lifted. I was in the mood for leap frog, and Emma was a great sport. All and all we had a great time.

Later we were still eating marshmallows and I needed a stick to make them. I found one in the shap of a V called it the Love Stick, Emma started seeing Love Stick, baby Love Stick to the Love Shack tune.

No comments:

Post a Comment