Thursday, September 23, 2010

Santis, Switzerland

September 10th

Earlier this week I planned on going to Mt. Santis in Switzerland. Heard it was beautiful. The weather was to be perfect this weekend and being my last week down at the Lake wanted to make sure I did something memorable. Sabine said I could borrow the car. Then on Thursday evening I asked her what she was doing this weekend. She and the kids had no plans so I asked if she would like to go with me. She was really happy and said it sounded like a nice idea.

The kids were immediately thrilled to go to the Berg (mountain). We woke up Saturday and it was a bright sunny day. We packed the kids up, picked up the cousin Anni, and set off. There was a little detour, but we found the way just fine. The kids were in need of a stop to eat and use the toilets. We went to Appenzell, a little mountain town. We got out and took some pictures by the water. I acted like I was tossing Jason over the rail. He was quite scared and didn't fully trust that I had him in my grasp. Then walked up towards the town and there were sheeps being lead through the city. Completely characterizes a Swiss mountain town.

We sat at a restaurant and ordered some lunch. I went walking around to check what else was there. Very small town, in the middle of the street there was this moving concrete, kept the kids occupied until the food came.



We get back in the car and have to drive through a couple more towns before arriving to Santis. The kids were much better and it was needed that we stopped. We came to a fork in the road and were waiting a long time. Instantly we thought that there might be an accident, the reason for the traffic. It was actually cow crossing. Pretty amazing we got to see sheep being hearded and cows crossing with their huge cow bells on. I would not have seen this if I took the train up! It was more exciting to be able to share this experience with Sabine and the kids as well. I enjoy traveling on my own, but find it better to have the experience with someone else.



We drove up the mountain side to Santis, the views were unbelievable. This is a great last weekend with the fam bam. We parked the car and Johnny was sleeping already. Immediately we walked to the Gondola to take to the top of the Berg. The views were spectacular as the weather was so clear.





We reached the top and went walking out, very windy and hot and then cold. The temperature kept changing. I walked up top with Anni and Jason while Sabine took Johnny around to the lift. I clouds started moving fast and it was good we got up there when we didn' Would have missed the views from Italy and France. It was very clear on the side of Austria and Germany. We could actually see the Bodensee (Lake Constance).

The kids were playing and ended up falling on the snow and ice that was at the top. Sabine took them in and I went to follow, but then wanted to go walk around as there was more area to cover and pretty hard to do with the kids. I got some nice photos and figured we would share them later.


I went back in and found Sabine at the tourist shop. They were getting a few things, the kids found this water bottle that said Switzerland on it, I got one too. I really wanted a little cow bell, but figured it wasn't worth buy it.

Sabine told me about some pretty large cow bells at the top so we went to check them out. On the way up there was a family portrait that you could put your head on, we took a lot of photos there, the kids were hilarious. Then we went up to the cow bells. Sat outside for a bit and waited to see if it would clear. The clouds were pretty massive and you could see nothing outside.






We took the gondola down and let the kids run around for a good hour. It was going to be longer car ride home, since they are more tired now. They ran and played while we took photos of them. Great that all they need is a big open field of grass. Sabine went in and bought some cheese to take back!!



We pack up the car and head home, the kids get too hungry as it is already 8p now and we make a quick stop at Mcdonalds to eat and use the toilets.

No comments:

Post a Comment