Wednesday, September 1, 2010

Edinburgh, Scotland

I am not feeling 100% from the previous night! Now the weather is starting to get cooler at my transfer in York. I sent all my warm wear with Alan and only had my backpack, weighing 7kg with me. In York the train was delayed, story of my life, but no worries since I didn't have to make another connecting train. I boarded and sat in my seat, thank goodness I made a reservation. The train was jam packed with people and some had to stand by the enterance. The air conditioning was broken so there was no air flowing through the train, making my hangover that much worse.

I passed through Brenwich upon Tweed and the city looked simply beautiful. I tried to snap a picture of the bridge, but there were too many people. This was the best I could do. Riding along the coast made the ride more enjoyable and I was starting to wish that I had more time in Scotland to go to the Highlands.


Views are pretty good.

Once I arrived in Edinburgh I exited the main train station and started to gain my sense of direction. I had to walk up and over towards a church along Royal Mile. 



 Thought this to be funny that they explain which side to walk on and this lady clearly doesn't pay attention.
 The hostel was right next to the Castle, so should be pretty easy to find! I headed up on Cockburn Street and hit Royal Mile. Took Royal Mile straight down until I reached the church and then stayed left. The hostel was parallel to the Castle (just a little lower!).
 I checked in and settled a little bit, first order of business was to find a place to eat. I read about this place that served Tex Mex, much like Chiptole, it's been so long since having anything close, I must try it out. Other than that I had no plans and everything seemed pretty easy to find so I just roamed the streets.
Edinburgh was quite impressive within minutes of walking along the cobblestone streets. In the hostel were listed tours around the city. I felt I needed something since the city was small and offered so much. The next day I was going to do the free walking tour.

Walking down and away from the Castle I found Illegal Jack's. The place lacked sour cream, but it was pretty decent. The burrito was so large that I wrapped half of it up.


After stuffing my belly I strolled in the Princes Street Gardens where I found a merry-go-round and a lovely fountain.

Scotland's flower, the Thistle.








The Flower Clock, represents something different each year. This year is "A Hundred Years of Girl Guiding" - 1910-2010.


The Scott Monument


The National Museum
Since it was the later part of the afternoon, I wanted to head back towards the hostel and walk along the Royal Mile. All the museums were already closed, so I didn't have much else to do. Edinburgh is beautiful constructed with many closes (alley-ways) leading up towards Royal Mile.
Roaming around I saw some guys playing twister on the street. They would run place it down and begin to play trying to get girls to join in with them. Was something different that I never saw and I think it would be quite creepy if you were a girl by yourself invited to play...

I have come to learn that the old churches are not used by the public to attend a mass, but to host parties and events. The Hub in particular holds the International events. Originally name Vicitoria Hall. The reason they are turned into historic sites is because the people of Edinburgh do not actually live in the city centers, the cost of living is to great.


Doing some browsing at the souvenir shops. I found that I didn't want to buy anything now that Alan had my large suitcase with him. Also, I felt that I would be ripping myself off if I spent money on a scraf or something. Cashmere is everywhere, but I considered when will I actually wear it?



The next day I woke up and went downstairs for some breakfast. The hostel offered it for 2 quid, pretty typical breakfast coffee, toast, offered some meat and cheeses, and cereal. After my breakfast I went and cleaned up and readied for the tour that started at 11am. It was only a few hours so I knew that I could see all of the city today.

The tour guide Matt that picked us up from the hostel, was rather confused about Kocknose. (Below) Man playing the bag pipes across the street. What do they wear under their kilts, Whatever they want or not want to wear!


The tour started and there were so many people that day that they had 4 groups going at once. It is really awesome with Sandeman Tours. They are free and you tip based on what you think is right. The guides do a fantastic job and are really passionate about the history and entertaining. I saw them in Paris, but thought it be really hard to do a tour in that big of a city. Wish I would have heard about them in Amsterdam, I think I would have enjoyed it there. 

Anyways, starting talking to two girls on the tour and they were traveling from Brisbane. I put my name down on this list for facebook, as they post a pic of the group on there and saw their names (was literally 30 seconds after we started talking). Liz and Liza and Lisa (yours truly). I thought it to be pretty funny and pointed it out to them. So on the tour, we actually spent some time talking.  
  
The story behind the buildings was quite interesting. The rich people didn't live on the top floors, but actually on the ground level or first floor. The reasoning was if there was a fire or emergency, the were the first to be out and safe.  

St. Giles Church, in front of the church they used to yell out the news 3 days later than when it occurred such as; the Pope died. Only because thats how long the journey was from London.
City of Chambers

The Grass Market, used to be the old ghetto. Heard a good story down here about Maggie Dickson running away from her husband and falling in love with someone else. Then she got caught, was trialed and sentenced to be hung. Came back to life after being pronounced dead. Then she was to be hung for a second time, but the people said she paid her dues and lived happily ever after with the new lover. The End.



On our way now to the Graveyards!
Edinburgh is very superstitious about ghosts and hauntings. Can't say that I believe in it. I love Graveyards though, they are really quite unique and I find them rather beautiful.

Graveyard shift's meaning - families had to watch the graves of their loved ones for 4-6 weeks so that people wouldn't come and steal the bodies.

Really so much information came out of this tour I had to write it down to remember it all. The photo above is the real Hogwart and the inspiration for Harry Potter is in this cemetary. JK Rowlings took the names from people's grave stones as she walked with her baby in its stroller.
Famous pup in Edinburgh, everyone knew Bobby and when Bobby's owner died he sat next to the grave everyday for years. A law was passed where there could be no strays on the streets so the city of Edinburgh adopted Bobby and let him be. Cute story.

The tour took us back down Princes Street and ended. The guide gave us a recommendation of a place to eat that wasn't too pricey and you can have good traditional Scottish food. Of course they meet up with the other guides and get free beers when they bring people in. There were about 8 of us that went. This guy has a group shot of us all and left no contact info! Great job. I got a pic with Snoopy, reminded me of my Snoopy as a kid.


Haggis for lunch, sorry but it is delicious and I know what it is made out of....Sheep intestines
Went back to the hostel to get some things so I could go check out the National Museum and go atop the Scott Monument.
The museum was closing since it was 5pm. Here are some old chess pieces.

View from atop Scotts Mon.


Then I wanted to Calton Hill since it looked really great from afar.

It was only about a 15min walk, everything is so close in the city!

After I had to print off my boarding pass with Ryanair. You must print it off to go on the flight. The hostel had everything except for a printer. I saw one down by the Grassmarket so I went back to see if they were open.
No such luck, they were closed and so I went to the other one. This was part of a gaming center and there was some tournament going on. The people referred me to another one since all the computers were taken up.
I couldn't find any others open, I went back. Was getting annoyed since I spoke to the guy the day before and he said that there would be no problems when I inquired about the tournament. The people were nice and let me use the one behind the desk.
Then I met back up with the girls Liz and Liza, they really wanted to do the pub crawl. I wasn't too keen on it since my flight was at 7a and I still felt like I was recovering from when Alan was in town, but I agreed since it didn't start too late.
There were actually so many people (74) going to all the same places that I knew I would have the perfect excuse not to drink since it would takes ages to get to the bar. Awesome Bar name, Binkies! Didn't realize it til we were walking out.

Edinburgh was great fun and I met some fun Australians! The girls were so sweet, hope we can hang out in the future.

Some fun facts that came out of Scotland.....

The New Year's Eve song...famous poet Burns wrote the gingle.

Iron Brut, out sells Coke - it is nasty don't drink it.

The term shit-faced actually comes from people having to throw their bucket of poop in the river, when they would throw it the would yell out - Gardy Loo! It was the signal that poop was being lauched. If you weren't pay attention and got hit with poop in the face, you were Shit-Faced!

New film coming out Burke and Hare - our guide was an extra in it.

1 comment:

  1. Hi Lisa! Thanks for mentioning Illegal Jack's. And we do have sour cream :) Hopefully if you're hear again you'll have some in your burrito, Love the blog. And isn't shit-face a great phrase?! Warm wishes - Illegal Jack

    ReplyDelete