Sunday, September 12, 2010

Steinkjer, Norway

August 5th
Another night of solid sleep, I get up and have Alisha braid my hair with the ribbon in and then braid hers, fun fun. We plan on making the bracelets on the bus so I sit next to her. She is cruising a long and really doesn't need me. After a few hours I hop in the back for a little bit and have a nice chat with Scott. By the way there are 3 Scotts on this trip and all from Australia. There is only one way to figure them out while talking since two had a friend come with them on the tour. There is Scott and Tony, Scott and Miles (going to Oktoberfest), and Scott from Perth (also going to Oktoberfest). Also two Lukes but we have a nickname for the other Luke (Miles).

It is interesting to go on a group tour as I normally research a city fully before going to it, but here since the itinerary is set and I can't do anything then I just wait. On the itinerary today we go to Trondheim and then to Hell.

First, we make a stop at a little souvenir shop that has a nice bakery which I am in need of some quality coffee. Each morning I have to decide if I want to drink the instant or just wait til we find some fresh. At the bakery there was a deal for a wienerbrod and coffee for 40 NOK. Derek pointed out the sign and I found the Wienerbrod in the display and it looked quite good. So I will have that please! I was the first to order and just asked for a Cafe, they gave me a to go cup and then it dispensed out of the coffee pot. Derek and Scott asked for Lattes and it was the same price and came freshly grinded. Damn wish I would have known. Then we took a seat outside and enjoyed the warm weather. Wasn't sure how cold it was going to get when we would head up North, so should take it in as much as possible.

Then I went inside the souvenir shop to see if they had any types of media for the photos. It was starting to feel like an obsession that I had to find something and look where ever I could. Nothing available there, but they had numerous trolls everywhere. I was so tempted to purchase one but really thought that they were creepy looking. Don't worry no souvenirs of trolls coming back with me! I did however try on some more moose hats. I had to go to the toilet before getting back on the bus and here you had to pay. Feeling to cheap I was about to walk out, I asked Miles if he paid for the toilet he said no go upstairs to the restaurant. Sweet so I did. Then when I was walking out I saw a balcony and went to look if there was a view, only view was of the topdeck people at our table below.

Time to go back on the bus and I saw that a seat was free in the front again, ok I will sit here. I don't mind having a great view! There was a church ahead, looked pretty cool I took a pic and apparently so did Marcus, he was sitting parallel to me. Have to watch out for Marcus he copies photos and steals flags. He had to wear this costume the whole day, on team Sweden.
Next stop was Trondheim where there is a beautiful cathedral and it is the biggest town before making way to Helsinki (day before last). Start walking to the Cathedral and Luke and Tony are walking my pace. We walk together and go explore the city. We were about to go over the bridge when it looked really nice along the lake. We turn back around and head up or down the lake. The boys wanted to check out the girls laying in the sun, the girls looked young. The house along the lake had some pretty unique architecture with slanted roofs and great balconies. I was wishing one was mine. While walking we were gossiping a bit about Emma and Scott (Perth), we were noticing the two of them joined at the hip. I already talked to Emma about this and she had no interest in him, but it was still funny to hear what the boys had to say. Notice that guys gossip just as much as girls.


We came to the end of the walkway and there were these great colorful buildings in the lake. I thought it to be a very pretty site. I wanted my picture by it so I had Luke take it, I still handed my camera over to him cautiously. Heading up and away from the water we hit the city center. Pretty good. There were many ice cream shops, restaurants, and shopping stores and malls. I debated about going to an ATM as I still had some cash on me, but there were some bigger priced optional activities that would be coming up. Also should I buy something to drink? I have not seen a bottle of wine for sale anywhere, I was starting to crave a glass of wine since I was getting burnt out from beer.

I found a media store and ran in, they had memory cards for $70, that is ridiculous and I am desperate, but not that desperate. I ask if they have blank discs, they do and for $12. Ok I will take that. We find this little flea market next to the grocery store and mall. It was kind of bizarre and full of crap. I saw a llama that I had to pose with. I was to short to actually sit on it. We had about 10 mins and I didn't see a bank on the way to the bus so I figured I could go and get money later. Alcohol was not a necessity.



Next stop was in Hell. We got off the bus and it is the smallest town you have ever seen. Basically we went to the train station since it says Hell on it and took some pictures. I was messing around to long and there was a group photo and I missed it. Oh well there will be more to come. Get on the bus and drive through some really great scenery. Tony and Alicia had Norways mascot, Jorgensen, the whole time up by the curtain and I dozed off for a little nap. Once I awoke he was no longer there. I was kind of annoyed that no one would fess up and give him back and said that teams actually lose points for stealing mascots.



Tonight we find out that we get to pick our roommates and Jules and Justine had asked Emma and I if we want to room together again, we said Ya! So that was already set. They are two really great friends that a bit older, but so much fun. I almost feel bad that Emma and I stay up later than them, but this is my 4th night in a row with them and it seems fine. We arrive at camp and set up.



The rooms are called out and we come to find out since we were only 4 people we get the little shack this time. It is so small and there is hardly room to put our bags. I had to take a picture of course. There were two set of girls rooms and two sets of guys rooms that had big cabins with bathrooms. I figured we were pretty lucky for 2 nights that it is almost fair just to have it rotated. Dinner is being prepped and I am feeling like I need some alone time. I was going to lay by the river but feared that there would be no sun there and might get eaten alive. Some people were playing cricket so I went on the field and laid in the grass there. Got the urge to do handstands and then Anneka came out and joined me. Alisha and Monica came a little later and starting doing handstands as well. It felt pretty good as it was stretching out my body. The days on the bus are starting to make my body hurt. Then it was time of dinner and I went back to the room to find little Jorgensen was on the floor by my bag. Someone put him in there. Ummm.... Well I am curious to figure this out. I am thinking it is team Sweden since Jules said that the window was open and they could crawl through. Then Emma told me Rash came up to her and asked for our key. Jules and Rash are both on team Sweden. Once I had him back I was happier and didn't care so much. We ate dinner and then we were told we will play Ultimate Frisbee for the Viking Olympics.
I went back to the room to grab my ipod and it was locked. Wanting to test out this theory of Jules’ I climbed through the window. There is no way I would be able to climb back out and would have to open the door. So funny right at this moment I hear Emma coming back. Since the door was locked I wanted to scare her. I tried once before in the other cabin but it didn’t work. I hear her say hello, I made a noise. Then remain quite she opens the door and I jump out from the side. She screams and it was glorious!

Norway was waiting for the team to get set, missing all of our boys, and then we could play. Alisha said Lisa you are a Pocket Rocket, go find them. So I ran off looking for them. The girls really didn't care to play and were wanting to sit out. I was psyched, we were playing with this huge green frisbee. Anyways it was our turn to go and we played against Finland and won. Then it was our second time to go and played against Denmark and won with in mins. Joey wanted us to play again and then they won, so we had to play the best out of 3. We ended up winning, but I was tiring. The time we lost I was playing defense and this was no good as I was helping assisting getting points and I also scored one point. Then Joey said it was our turn to play against team Sweden right after we played 3 in a row. We start to play and it is the longest game ever. I jump up for the frisbee the same time as Scott (Miles) and didn't know who was jumping up against me and he takes me out. I mean I fall on the ground and have the wind knocked out of me. I was carried off the field. Definitely need a breather. Feeling better. Now we were tied with Sweden it was time to go against them for the Championship. We lost, sucks.There was some drama going on between one of our players, Matt, and a guy from the other team. While playing someone was slapped. It was a bit odd and after the game people were all talking about it.

Then Emma and I went to go for a walk and heard that people were up in the big cabins, we thought we should check these places out. They were pretty nice and we hung out there for a bit. Alisha was drunk and offered me one of Monica's ciders and I accepted it. We hung out and played cards, then some people were dealing with different drama and Emma and I thought it was time for bed. We went back to our cabin and read.

No comments:

Post a Comment