Sunday, September 26, 2010

Leaving the Knams

September 16th

Last week with the family was a whirlwind of emotions. I felt like everytime I laughed with the boys I wanted to cry, just knowing that I am going to miss them so much. It is funny, when they cry I find that it doesn't annoy me like other kids out in public. We have the best memories together as they were completely wild and crazy. I would throw them up in the air, spin them, and let them jump on me. Sometimes Johnny liked to pretend like he was playing the boxing playstation game, "box box" and run up to me and punch me in the stomach. Luckily he is only 2 1/2 so it didn't hurt so bad.


Everytime I think of them I just bust out laughing. I am really fortunate that they let me get so close to them. I also taught the boys some songs; row row row your boat, rock a my baby, and motor boat. They would have me pick them up like they were a baby and rock them while singing. Jason is 5 and almost as tall as me. Huge German boys. Johnny was playing with a boy at the park and he was 2x the size of him. Couldn't believe the difference as I am pretty used to it.



On Thursday it was Anni's (cousin) first day of school. In Germany this is a huge deal as you are sending them off for the first day. They have a church ceremony and then walk to the school and the kids preform a play and sing songs that they rehearsed. Anni had asked if I could come months in advance. We woke up pretty early to get the kids ready, eat breakfast, and go. The night before I made Anni a little traditional Schule gift, it is cone shaped, it was filled with goodies.



After sending her off we went back to the house and prepared for the lunch. Also that day was Anja's birthday. Jason and I drew her some pictures. It was actually spending quality time with Jason, every two seconds he said Lisa look. In perfect English! I taught them so well. I really wasn't sure what Johnny was up to and Sabine kept an eye on him. Liked that I had that moment with Jason. After the lunch I had a "break" for a few hours, but ended up just baking during that time. The whole famiy and I were having a goodbye party with cake and coffee on Friday. I made cookies, banana bread w/ chco chips, and apple pie. I was a little nervous for the apple pie since I never made one before, but everything looked pretty good. The cookies were the best I have made the whole time I been there, I sampled them prior.


When I finished it was time for Anja's birthday party and she came to invite me for cake and coffee. I went there and had some delicious apple and raisin cake. Hope the apple pie will be just as good. Then Sabine came back with the kids from shoe shopping. The boys were thrilled as they got new shoes and thought they were really cool. Showed them off to everyone. I told Jason we should give Anja her gifts. Anja liked my drawing a lot, she kept starring at it, made me feel good.  

Anni showed up and I gave her the cone I made her. She was so excited. The girl is too cute, said the gifts kept getting better and better. Then gave me a big hug. I was able to spend just as much time with Anni as I did with the boys. She was so affectionate and loving that I grew close with her instantly! Such a wonderful family and many personal moments that I shared with each. After the little gifts it was time to eat my last Wurst Salat with the family. I grew to love it; sausage, cheese, pickle, and onion.


 









September 17th 
So on Friday Sabine had an appointment and I would get the kids for school. I was taking Jason to kindi my last time. Sabine asked me to come upstairs and Erwin, her, and the boys were all in the bedroom. They wanted to give me a going away gift. It was so sweet, there was a card and a huge box. I am wondering what is in this box as they bought me a necklace on Tuesday. I had the kids help me open it and they were excited. Sabine bought me these black boots. She went shopping for boots and I told her I loved them when she showed me. Then I told her later that I was leaving my behind if she wanted them for the next Au Pair or to give to Meli? She asked why and I said they are old and I need new ones. Sabine is the most thoughtful and kind hearted person I have met. She always thinks of everyone and what would they like.

I got Johnny dressed and Jason came downstairs. We had breakfast just the 3 of us and then we went to Kindi. After dropping him off, Johnny and I went to the Bakeri to buy the bread, Edeka to pick up Jason's milk I promised to get for him, fish for lunch, and then to the Media Markt (I had to pick up an external and converters). By the time we finished all and got back to Langenargen it was time to get Jason. We went to the house and Sabine was ready for us all to eat. Man the day was flying by.

I then was able to have some time to make sure everything was packed and ready to go. I backed my pictures on the external, took out the garbage, and packed a box that Sabine is shipping back for me. Just the extra things that I do not need to bring to Thailand. 

Once that was all finished we had the family come over at 3p. I was going on the train at 4:40p so we thought there should be enough time if we left at 4p. The family arrives and we sit and have coffee and they eat my desserts. They really liked all and that made me happy, especially the banana bread (they never had it before). I wrote all the receipes down for Sabine. Everyone gave me a little something and meaningful items. Gigi, Claus, Anni, and Jake gave me an address book, pen, and lip gloss, and Anni drew some pictures. Marcus, Inga, Melani, and Jessica gave me note cards to write and nail polish (I borrowed the girls nail polish before). Oma and Opa gave me a card and it was of a painting I liked in the house (thought that was perfect!). Rolf the uncle gave me a St. Christopher keychain to ensure that I have safe travels, everyone in the family has one as well. We took a family photo and I started my goodbyes, right after the hugs I started balling. I was crying so much, they really touched my life.
Then Sabine, Jason, and Johnny took me to the train and we left a little later than we wanted to. I arrived at the trainstation at 4:39. There was no way I was catching that train. Got out and ran, but it was already gone. I walk back to the car and both of us are a little happy because it wouldn't be a proper goodbye. DB provided another train up to Munich since they were so busy for Oktoberfest. This was leaving in a half hour and was direct, no transfers. Worked out to be better, just a little bit more money.

I say goodbye to them and found a single seat where I was able to work on the blog the whole way up. I am quite behind as I wanted to get everything in order before Thailand. I get off the train and head to Thomas and Cordula's for the final weekend with them in Germany. They were watching Madmen. Found out that Cordula had to work this weekend on a project and Thomas was just getting over being sick. I called Kathrine, Lisa, and Benedict and we all met up to go to this month party at one of the bars. We had so much fun, but didn't get to crazy as the next couple of days were going to be spent at Wisen.

 


No comments:

Post a Comment