Sunday, September 19, 2010

Tallinn, Estonia

August 14th
Joey came around trying to wake everyone up this morning as we had a ferry to catch to Tallinn. It was nice and hectic. Not feeling so good, trying to pack my bag by sorting through Emma and my things. It felt like an eternity but really took all of 10 mins. We get on the bus and I don't feel so bad. The ride to the ferry was fast and we get on. In the cafeteria I think I should eat so I do not feel bad. Order a pizza and give half to Derek, owed him a beer so I figured food would make us even. Then I heard some people were sleeping under the stairs, I went to go find a spot. I lay down and instantly feel like I am going to throw up. Under the stairs it was so shaky and could feel every movement of the water and the people walking above. I get up and go to the bathroom. In there I re-cooped and felt better. I leave and go by some of the group and again start to feel bad. Back to the bathroom, since I felt better here I waited in there for about 15 mins. We have 2 hours on the ferry, don't know how I am going to make it.




I go outside to have a look around and the fresh air is sure to make me feel good. I walk around and it starts to rain. Sit down and think possibly I can sleep. It was cold and wet, the moment I close my eyes I feel the rocking. I get up and go inside. My feet are filthy and since I feel good in the bathroom I go wash them in the sink. Wait til there are not so many women in there, Anneka comes in and we talk a bit. I find that the ferry has free wifi and us the touch to surf the net and write some emails. Emma, Derek, Scott, and Krysten were all sleeping on the floor behind me. So jealous that they were fine. When we arrive in Tallinn I go out on the deck to take some pics of the city. Very cloudy and gloomy looking (like I feel). We depart and it takes forever for people to gather around. Luckily our hostel is right next to the ferry.




Today's itinerary consists of a Tour with Joey of the city and then we can check into our rooms. We put our bags in the left luggage and head out slowly. We get to learn a lot and I read much before arriving. Estonia was basically free, under the rule of the Russians, French, Soviets, and independent. The country has gone through so much and finally building itself a better economy. Wifi was created in Estonia, knew that I could connect pretty much anywhere.




There is a break during the tour for lunch. Emma, Krysten, and I go to find something not to expensive but a little healthier. I find this cafe and we sit to eat. The waiter never comes so I ask if we order at the counter or he comes. He came and took our order, two salads with cheese and tomatoes and one duck salad. Took 30 mins to get out food and I thought I was going to scream. It was blazing hot in the cafe and we just wanted to eat. Then we met back up with the group. Went to the Alexander Nevsky Cathedral got a little taste of Russia Cathedrals.

Then the tour walked through Catherine’s Passage and to the Freedom Square. Basically we were done. Joey asked if we were going to go back the hostel or walk around. Felt so bad and wanted to shower went back to the hostel. We check in finally and I am in a room with Anneka, Monica, and Zani. Krysten and Emma have their own room, bummed we don't have one last night together. I want to take a nap before going out, but my body hates me. Dehydrated and extremely tired. I lay there for a long time. The rooms are great because we actually had two adjoining rooms and so we have two bathrooms. I take a shower and start to get ready.



We have a going away dinner at the Beer Haus tonight. We get ready and head out. Here we get traditional Estonia cuisine and dances. We take a bunch of photos. Start feeling sad that it is coming to an end. I took off my shoes as the place was so hot. All day I was sweating pretty bad. I still feel like I can't stop. Then we go to a bar, it is just as bad and feel all sticky and sweaty. Took a long time for us to order a drink. The bartender told us that he could not make and cocktails (literally think he didn't know how to make) other people ordered them from another bartender. Then I kept asking the man questions of why were didn't get the 15% discount for the drinks. He was Irish and I didn't understand a lick of what he said. About 5 mins later he comes up to me and pulls me aside. Says sorry that I get a free drink being a tour guide. I said ok. I just have to come up to him when I am ready.

I go up to the bar to order a beer and he says this is all shit, you don't want that or that. I asked him to give what he thought was right. I get a large Carlsberg, alright by me! Then after the bar we went walking around the streets, there were many strip clubs, and clubbing bars. I walk back with Alisha to the hotel.


August 15th

The next day I get up for breakfast and see Alicia, Emma, and Krysten eating. I asked if they wanted to spend the day together. They were basically ready to go and I knew I needed a good 1.5 before I could get going. Jason, Scott, and Derek came and ate with me. Then Derek said he was going in town in about an hour since he didn't do the tour. I checked into my flight, printed out the itinerary, and then packed my stuff to check out. Met Derek downstairs and was ready to leave. Darryl was kind of hanging around and seemed like he didn't have anyone to go out with so he came with us.

First we went to the Town Wall ang were able to go up the towers to get some arial views of the city. Headed towards the city center as I was hoping the girls would meet us there. Said before they left to try and meet there by 12:30p. They didn't show. Then we went back by Alexander Nevsky Cathedral and waited for Scott to join us. Nearby was The Cathedral of St. Mary's and we went up the tower there to see a more views.


Walked around a bit and were going to the Radisson. I was getting pretty bummed that my tour was ending and they got to go on to other cities in Russia. Derek bought me a sunflower since I was so sad. It was really sweet. The tour group was full of really great people and we all got pretty close since we were in remote places and could only hang out with each other. There are tons of people coming to Oktoberfest the first weekend so I hope we all get to meet up and have another drink together, but the place is going to be packed.






We went up to the Radisson and one final drink and ordered some sushi. It was really good and the views were quite nice. I then had to get back to the hostel to meet up with Anneka and go to the airport with her. I was lead away from the hostel and had to start walking really fast back, wanted to take a quick shower as the temp in Tallinn was really humid. When I got back I had just enough time for a 5 mins shower. I hurried up and ran outside to meet Anneka at the bus stop. She thought I was not coming and was waiting with Clair and Jane. The bus ride said to be 25-40 mins, we were there in 15, then dropped off our bags in 3, through security in 5 and had to wait for the flights for an hour. Relaxed and talked. My flight was delayed another 30 mins, but I was able to write a couple of postcards. On my way to Riga.


1 comment:

  1. Hostel in Lviv

    This blog is highly informatics, crisp and clear. Here everything has been described in systematic manner so that reader could get maximum information and learn many things. This is one of the best blogs I have read.

    ReplyDelete